Gene Thomas ~ the original

Texas Songwriter & Singer

Discussion Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > Favorite Gene Thomas song

danna

Got a favorite GT song?  I WANT SOME DISCUSSION HERE FOLKS!!!!  I can't limit my favorite(s) to just one, so I will list my favorites.  Number ONE has to be "Lay it down". I also love "The train"...."Watching it go"......."Touch something good"....."Poor man's bouquet"......"Remembered by someone"...........and "Hands on my heart", my immediate appreciation upon hearing "Hands on my heart"  surprised Gene, shouldn't have, Russ Deane and myself both love it!!!  

I would really be interested in hearing from some folks that have known Gene for a long time, folks who used to go see him perform, or his music buddies who have shared decades with him....favorite songs from live performances?  Songs that "the guys" and Gene used to sing together? I would enjoy hearing about songs that I haven't heard. 

April 15, 2010 at 9:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Michael Duran

all of the tunes you mention are great showcases of Genes talent Danna,

Remembered by Someone is a true gem of a country lament, and for a timeless classic I would also choose "The Train" for it's pure storytelling perfection.

and the passion in Genes performance of "Sometimes I Feel Like Going Home" is really something with the sweet melody and low notes he hits.. true heart & soul

April 16, 2010 at 12:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Patricia

In Freeport, Texas in the late fifties, Gene use to sing a song about a love letter.  I believe Gene wrote the song, but I am no sure,  I also don't know if it was ever recorded.  I have tried to google some of the words, but have had no luck in finding any information.  I would love to have a copy of the song, or at least have a copy of the words.  Is there anyone that could help, Please.   

April 17, 2010 at 11:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Russ Deane

Patricia at April 17, 2010 at 11:21 PM

In Freeport, Texas in the late fifties, Gene use to sing a song about a love letter.  I believe Gene wrote the song, but I am no sure,  I also don't know if it was ever recorded.  I have tried to google some of the words, but have had no luck in finding any information.  I would love to have a copy of the song, or at least have a copy of the words.  Is there anyone that could help, Please.   

"lay it Down" is one of my many favorites. I think that song was covered by every singer alive!...."Poor man's bouquet" ranks up there also.  I really like "Fed up with Hunger".  The letter song sounds interesting.  Maybe we can ask Gene what song that was??  What song was that Gene???  

--
April 22, 2010 at 6:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

John Bowyer
Gene put out a lot of good music in the 60's, but my favorite is Down the Road on the Venus label. It is a lot better than the UA version. Gene does a great job on the vocals and the background vocals and sax are great also.
--
April 27, 2010 at 8:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Patricia

Danna, Thanks a lot, the song is Letter From My Darling, composers are Rose Marie McCoy, Charlie Singleton.  I had never heard anyone but Gene sing the song untill today, when I listened to Little Willie John's version.  I googled the song after I read your e-mail, and got the composers names.  Now I will have to purchase Little Willie John's version, since I don't have it by Gene, LOL.  Thanks again.   

--
April 30, 2010 at 4:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Shirl

I recently purchased Gene;s new Album and was so glad to hear all of his new music,my favorite would be  Watching It Go

It was great .My favorite song by Gene is Peace Of Mind ,and of course Sometimes ,It always makes me happy when I listen to it..His new album grows on you ,everytime you listen to it ,it sounds different I really am happy he did a new album and enjoy it every day ,I am lucky I have most of Genes Music ,plus a lot of him on tapes made by us .

May 13, 2010 at 4:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jimmy

Hi Folks:

One of my favorite Gene Thomas songs is "Rainbow Ribbons" which I did not see listed on the CD.

Jimmy Fullbright

May 14, 2010 at 1:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Darlene
Site Owner

My favorite song of Gene's is all of them.  There are so many that are not on the current CD that are terrific.  There are so many songs that Gene has written that need to be heard.  Hope that happens in the future.  Time will tell.

Darlene

May 15, 2010 at 1:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jimmy

I'm having fun looking through the Youtube videos.  Great job!

May 17, 2010 at 1:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dell

Where goes the Child

July 26, 2010 at 7:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tammy Miller Harris

Hi Patricia,

I realize this is a long time after you asked your question, but I only just saw it. I probably overlooked it originally because the print is so light.  I wonder (and hope for your sake) if the song, LETTER FROM MY DARLING (sometimes reffered to as THE SWEETEST LETTER) is the song you are talking about?  If so you are in great luck! I'm attempting to paste in the lyrics and also I wanted you to know that I was fortunate enough to record Gene back in November 2011 singing LETTER FROM MY DARLING.  Please 'subscribe to my youtube page to see and hear other Gene Thomas videos I have made and will be putting up as soon as possible.  Here is the link to LETTER FROM MY DARLING: 

http://youtu.be/TzJWyKN3_Qc

ALso here is the link to my YOUTUBE page featuring Gene Thomas:  http://www.youtube.com/user/soulsthroughwindows

I hope this is the song you are looking for. If not, I feel sure you will truly love it anyway! Gene did not write this one, but you would swear he did once you hear him perform it here at home. I'm just using a camcorder, but Gene sounds wonderful!

Enjoy,

Tammy Miller-Harris

--
Tammy Miller Harris
http://www.youtube.com/user/soulsthroughwindows?feature=mhee

April 27, 2012 at 4:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.