Gene Thomas ~ the original

Texas Songwriter & Singer

Discussion Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > How I met Gene Thomas...HOW DID YOU?

danna

I don't remember how I came to know about Soundclick, a website where musicians post their music, but I had been a member about a year when I noticed some comments being posted by a man who had a most unique way with words.  Gene had posted a comment that caught my eye, so I went to his page to listen to a song....you don't go to Gene's page and listen to one song.  I've listened to every song I can find and get my hands on.  I am fortunate to have a friend in Gene and Darlene..even Buffy, and I often still marvel at Gene's most unique way with words and voice.

--
March 2, 2010 at 7:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Russ Deane

danna at 07:10PM on Mar 02, 2010

I don't remember how I came to know about Soundclick, a website where musicians post their music, but I had been a member about a year when I noticed some comments being posted by a man who had a most unique way with words.  Gene had posted a comment that caught my eye, so I went to his page to listen to a song....you don't go to Gene's page and listen to one song.  I've listened to every song I can find and get my hands on.  I am fortunate to have a friend in Gene and Darlene..even Buffy, and I often still marvel at Gene's most unique way with words and voice.

I met Gene on Soundclick also.  Just by accident.  I was surphing around and I came across his site.  I was so impressed I sent him an email expressing my love for his songs.  I did not know what to expect, but to my surprise this gentleman responded to me very quickly, thanking me for my interest in his music.   We became fast friends from that first day.  I look forward to hearing from him via email.  Even his emails are poetic.  : )   I think I have heard a good portion of his songs.. Maybe not....  But from what I have heard...Not a bad song in the bunch. Wish he would toss me some of his throw-aways.  : )    A born songwriter and a good friend. 

--
March 2, 2010 at 8:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jerry Holder

Gene and I went to elementary school together ,the saturday morning movies and a large park by our house,one summer i went to Dallas to see my cousins and Gene went to Houston .When we returned Gene could play the guitar,and we marveled at how good he played and we showed everone he could play (under the double eagle) was the choice. He really was talented. I have never sent a talent like Gene

March 2, 2010 at 11:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

bob

I can only go by the stories ive been told about of when i first met Gene Thomas, but i do know it was in the early,early 70's sometimes. It was about nine months before i got a chance to see the man behind the voice, and when i saw him for the first time i was all but speechless.....except for some crying, i know there must have been some crying and i think i might have even thrown up on him a time or two .. so i can say without a doubt we go back ...way ,way back...

March 6, 2010 at 10:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Shirl

I met Gene Thomas when I was 16,he was playing in Houston Tx,After he came back to Texas,I saw him at several places he was playing.my most memorial time that I had went to Gene play at a Club that was known for women looking for men and men looking for women I had went with a friend whose boyfriend was Genes drummer,Butch,I had went out because I had heard Gene was playing there,my husband had just been dead several months and my friend said I needed a night out to listen to music,while I was setting listening to the music a guy came and asked me to dance,I refused because I was not ready to dance with anyone ,he came over seveal times and the last time he got ugly with me,said I shouldn;t be out if I was not looking ,Gene got off the bahdstand and walked over to the guy and politly told him to leave me alone,I was not wanting to dance.It showed me what a nice guy he was too do that,,I have a lot of his muic and even some that we recorded while he was playing with my ex.I love him singing JIMMY Reed ,I think my favoride song he sings is Peace of Mind

--
March 10, 2010 at 10:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jerry Holder

Shirl ,Glad Gene was there,a real touching story

March 10, 2010 at 11:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lynn Barker

My parents and Gene's parents were friends before I was born. I don't remember seeing him until I was 13 years old. It was 1966.  He came over to our house to visit and he sat on our couch and sang a song called " Long Black Limousine". I had never heard the song before so I thought he wrote it. I was surprised years later when I found out different. Anyway, I remember he started singing and he stole my heart completely,he still has it to this day. I think he is one of the few true talents we have in this world and I feel so blessed every time I listen to him sing.   

March 12, 2010 at 1:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Patricia

I met Gene in 1957, he was playing in Houston, and in a club in Freeport, Texas.  Two of my sisters and I would go to Freeport, to hear Gene's band, then my sisters, Gene, Joe, etc, would stop in Angleton to eat on our way back to Alvin, where we lived.  One of the best memories I have is on day Gene, Joe, and some of the rest of the band, set up on our front porch and played for my Mother.  We lived in the country, so the cows sang along with Gene.  I still laugh thinking about this.  I haven't seen Gene, since sometime in 1958, but will always enjoy his music. 

--
April 2, 2010 at 11:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

greg3511

bob at 10:26PM on Mar 06, 2010

I can only go by the stories ive been told about of when i first met Gene Thomas, but i do know it was in the early,early 70's sometimes. It was about nine months before i got a chance to see the man behind the voice, and when i saw him for the first time i was all but speechless.....except for some crying, i know there must have been some crying and i think i might have even thrown up on him a time or two .. so i can say without a doubt we go back ...way ,way back...

WOW you do have a history with Gene. Here is a bit more history, you and I playing as kids in East Texas. This is your cousin Greg, do you remember staying with us back in the 70's? Mail me, message me say hi and lets catch up. Great to see you on here. Greg Sawyer

--

Greg S

April 10, 2010 at 3:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

John Bowyer
I met Gene in ther early '60s back stage at Furr High School in Houston. Gene had just finished a show there with other local artists. I asked Gene where I could find a copy of "Down the Road'. Gene said that he didn't know and he wrote the song and didn't even have a copy himself. It is hard to find one on the Venus label, but I found one 10 or 15 years later. After I found a second copy, I gave it to Gene, framed, as a thanks for playing it live for me at the Dragon Lounge in Houston. Thanks again, Gene!!!! You could not find a nicer guy, just like I see in the other posts.
--
April 27, 2010 at 8:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Shelia D.

Gene knows the story, but I must share with all who know and love him.  I have fond teenage memories of the days I spent listening to my Dad sing Gene's songs as he played his Gibson guitar. Dad always included "The Streets of Loredo" as it was his favorite.  Like Dad, my passion is singing and songwriting.  A couple of years ago I found Gene on SoundClick.  I never dreamed our paths would cross, and I'm sure Dad had something to do with it!  Gene is a true gentleman and the best songwriter I have encountered.  It has taken me two years to choose my favorite "Gene Thomas" song, and I heard it for the first time yesterday...it took my breath away.. "I Took You For Granted Too Long".   This song is a real jewel...much like the songwriter.  If I could only tune in to a fraction of Gene's songwriting talent, I will have earned the title.

Many Blessings to Gene and all who love him!

"Music brings friends together and gives us the ability to share beautiful words that otherwise might never be heard."

Shelia D.

June 23, 2010 at 7:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

WMMUSIC

How I met Gene Thomas,...

Welllll , That´s a good question. And here comes the answer:

Gene Thomas, his name was Used in the Jass Studio in Antwerp ( Belgium ), many years ago, where in that time Gene´s Tunes were mentioned as model for what Music and Lyrics, should be and how they should sound.

My oldest son was going to the Jazz Studio, so That is the exact time I met first the name Gene Thomas. 

Not for nothing, Lay It Down , was Used by many Artists.

In Holland ( Netherlands ) this tune became a big success and even in Belgium they Used the Tune. 

Even today, you still can hear still hear Gene´s songs on many places.

I moved from Belgium to Tenerife ( Canary Islands ) , and Uploaded some tunes,... on Soundclick, and See, I detected the ¨Real¨ Gene Thomas on Soundclick. 

I received comments on my tunes from him and was realy very honored by that.

Imagine,... being a little Musician, and getting comments on several tunes of  A big artist like Gene Thomas.

Gene became a real close friend, and we had long talks ( The speciality of Gene, and me ) over the phone, and were writing emails... of  99 inches long. We talked about the good old times, and of course The Music.

The moment came, that I was making a re-composition of ¨ Where goes the Child ¨ , and after Uploading this tune it became a # 1 . A tune, never being produced, sleeping somewhere for many years, became suddenly alive.

I was feeling very happy, due to the fact that I touched the heart of Gene, by playing and singing it this way.

Gene is a wonderful man, who wrote Lyrics for so many artists, in those Simple /complex words, and got the Art to get deep in the heart of so many people, bringing them peace, and make them think about today and the future.

I hope, that nobody will forget THE  GENE THOMAS, and honor this so special man, today and for many years to come.

Don´t forget,.... Gene got also a CD,.... So, If you want to hear some Real Music, and Real understandable Lyrics.....

Go .... and buy Gene´s Cd. 

Werner Maertens

WMMUSIC

www.soundclick.com/wmmusic

July 18, 2010 at 6:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dell

He was leaning against his friend's car when i walked out of Jacksonville High School for lunch break.  He smiled and the dimples deepened.  I fell in love at that exact moment.  We spent some precious times together (at least for me) after that.  Going to see Tommy Sands in Tyler and experiencing a terrifyling trip home. Meeting secretively at parks in Dallas after I went to live with my grandparents.  I married and lost touch. Until 1964.  I was singing with a group in Corpus Christi and people would ask us to do a Gene Thomas song.  I never realized that they were referring to my Gene ( his name was Thomasson, I thought).  We were performing at a Labor Day concert in Corpus when I walked right into Gene backstage. We stayed in touch for a brief time.  Another marriage and another child for me and then I ended up in Houston where I tried to find Gene again.  And did.......running a riff at the Jones Studio.  And driving a little Grimlin.  Again, some time together: Gilley's, a trip to Dripping Springs for Willie's first 4th of July picnic and a couple of other adventures.  Because time spent with Gene was always an adventure to me.  The last time I saw Gene was probably the summer of  1974.  He was not well. 

Someone told me that Gene had died in 1989 and my heart was broken.  When I came across this site and can see that he is clearly well and that he found a loving person to care for and take care of him I felt an extreme happiness; not so much to have "found" him again, but to know that he is first of all, still living and seems happy in the pics.  He never seemed so happy in our youth.

My children never knew Gene, but they know about him and love the simple complexity of his lyrics.  They are all music lovers and most are performers.  Their favorites; Poor Man's Bouquet, Rainbow Ribbons and Where Goes the Child.

--
July 27, 2010 at 10:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Danny Niederhofer

It kind of seems like I have known Gene all my life ,Gene and my uncle were friends and he seemed to be around alot but that may not be the case as my memory is not what it used to be and it could be that the times I was around Gene were always so much fun ,lots of good music and occasional overindulgence.Gene and Lonnie came over to my house and we had a little party for my birthday I will never forget it I still have the pictures .Hey gene I think I still have a picture of you with that big bass that you caught off the houseboat !

January 24, 2011 at 2:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.